So having said that, I propose to you the following resources so that you may start learning ASP.NET:
Learn how to create a SQL Database and how to make SQL queries
I start with SQL because when you want to start of a new website, this should be the first step you do.
In this step you need to figure out the structure of the database and the entities that your website will have. I recommend you the following videos from ASP.NET official website:
- What is a Database?
In order to create a database you need to know its purpose and some basic SQL terminologies.
- Understanding Database Tables and Records
Understand how the information is stored in the database and what are the rules and or the constraints for adding it.
- More about Column Data Types and Other Properties
- Designing Relational Database Tables
Learn how to design your Database.
- Manipulating Database Data
This is an insight on how to use ADO.NET to interrogate your database. Very useful for when you’ll start work at the project.
- Using SQL Server Management Studio
Learning how to use SQL Server Management Studio will make your life easier when you’ll want to manage the data in your database or when you want to easily alter columns.
Learn HTML and CSS
To implement your .PSD file to ASP.NET, first your need to learn how to slice it and create an HTML page from it. Even if you don’t have a PSD file or somebody else will do this work for you, you still need to be familiar with HTML standards so that you can create a W3C valid page.
It will also help you better understand how ASP.NET Web Controls work, what HTML code they generate and what controls are more useful than others.
In my opinion this is a mandatory step in becoming a good ASP.NET Developer.
- Read about HTML & CSS from W3Schools.com
You’ll not find very advanced stuff here. Just some basic information about HTML tags, CSS properties and basic usage but this is very useful information for a beginner.
- Learn how to use any browser’s developer tools
Firebug for Firefox
Chrome Developer Tools
This will double your HTML & CSS development speed.
- Read about structural naming convention & semantics best practices.
Semantic approach in naming convention
Structural Naming Convention in CSS
These tutorials will teach you how to organize your HTML containers in your page.
- General HTML Best Practices
Good for avoiding common mistakes.
- Understand the CSS float attribute
- 30 CSS Selectors you Must Memorize
Pay attention to cross-browsing capabilities though!
Understanding CSS Float
CSS Float Theory: Things You Should Know
If you understand how CSS float works, probably you can reduce your CSS code by half.
Practical Examples with HTML & CSS
These are some real world scenarios so you must take a look at how these guys do their job!
- Web Design from Scratch
- Design and Code Your First Website in Easy to Understand Steps
Finally – Learn ASP.NET
Now that you have some knowledge about SQL, ADO.NET, HTML and CSS, you should be ready to start learning about ASP.NET.
- Create Masterpages
- How to Use Validation Controls
- How to Create and Use User Controls
Pay attention to this tutorial because it’s really important for your project modularity to learn how to use them.
- Event Handlers in ASP.NET Web Pages and Controls
- Simple File Uploads in ASP.NET
- Pass Information From One Page to Another Using a Query String
This might be useful when you want to create Edit pages.
- Use a Hidden Field to Store and Manipulate Client-Side Information
- Create Repeaters with Create, Update, Delete Commands
The Repeater Web Control will be your best friend in adding dynamic content to your website so learn all its secrets!
Implement Command Buttons for Individual Items
Edit Update Delete record in Repeater Control
- ASP.NET Membership and Role Provider
Learn how to implement Login functionality in your website.
This is a lot of information to assimilate in this article but if you are going through all these resources you’ll definitely have a better understanding about what this technology is all about.
Please share your thoughts about this list! Suggest even more good articles. Help me build a valuable list of resources for anyone that wants to learn ASP.NET WebForms